Many families live in temporary huts, shanties, line rooms under minimum facilities being deprived of an inhabitable dwelling. They expect assistance of a certain party for construction of a sustainable house fit to live in the contemporary socio economic context. Therefore, at present we are confronted with the challenge of providing these families with a permanent housing.
Accordingly, among the development programmes being implemented in the year 2017 by National Housing Development Authority under the guidance of the Minister of Housing and Construction Hon. Sajith Premadasa, “Model Village Programme” can be identified as significant. Under this programme, it has been decided to construct houses for families with housing requirement in village level covering all the districts. Accordingly, new houses are constructed as housing projects in lands selected in this respect.
Under the model village programme, 200 housing units are expected to be constructed island wide with the treasury funds.
In line with construction of houses of model villages, it is expected to obtain the assistance of the line ministries and public institutions including external parties for development of basic infrastructure facilities of the villages.
Selection of Beneficiaries
The most suitable beneficiaries are selected through an interview conducted by a panel consisting the Divisional Secretary and the District Manager.
Qualifications to be Beneficiaries
1. Need to construct a house
· Should not possess a land for construction of a house
· Should be a family with actual need of a house
· Should be a family capable of finishing the house proposed to be constructed
· Should be capable of providing basic building materials
· Should be capable of adding allocations apart from the loan
2. Capability for completing the house
· Should be capable of constructing the house upto completion level within a prescribed time period
· Should be able to contribute actively to complete the project conforming to participator development method
· Should be able to be organized to allocate the labour of the family for constructions
· Should be eager to complete the construction work within a target time frame and capable of providing other materials and financial allocations required for the completion of the house
· Should not be a beneficiary of any programme implemented by National Housing Development Authority before
· Should be capable of repaying the loan with relevant interest in monthly basis
Loan Programme and Recovery of Loans
A loan of Rs. 400,000.00 with an annual interest of 5% is issued for the persons whose monthly income is Rs. 25,000.00 or less, considering the capability or consent regarding repayment. The loan amount is recovered either in 05 years or 10 years.
In addition, a sum of Rs. 400,000.00 is issued for government and semi-government employees whose monthly income is Rs. 45,000.00 or less. The annual interest is 5% and the loan amount is recovered either in 05 years or 10 years. (The loan is recovered from the salary.)
Issuance of Loan Installments
The loan is issued in 05 installments considering phases of construction and an advance of Rs. 5000.00 is issued from the first installment to complete the foundation.
Installment Level of Construction Percent
1 After completion of foundation 20%
(The advance of Rs.5000/-is reduced from this installment)
2 After completion of wall upto lintel level 20%
3 After completion of wall upto roof level 30%
4 After completion of roof 20%
5 For reach completion level 10%